My bags are packed, and I am now mere hours away from leaving San Francisco for a whirlwind 6 week vacation -- starting with a week in France before flying with four friends and my mom to my favorite island nation, Madagascar. When I first visited the great Red Island a year and a half ago, I knew I'd be back again and again. I thank my lucky stars that I am both physically and financially able to return so soon, because organizing a trip of this scale is no small feat.
I leave with only one regret. By the time the 2006 mid-term election results start coming in the evening of November 7th, I'll be halfway around the globe, trekking through the ancient limestone massif called Ankarana, a small area in the far north of Madagascar that supposedly has the highest concentration of primates of any forest in the world. And no internet, obviously. (But plenty of lemurs.)
And so, after spending a considerable amount of time, money and energy campaigning for the Dems this election season, not to mention praying nightly for Arnold Schwartzenegger to be struck down by a large sports utility vehicle, I must now leave all this rigamarole behind me and trust in my fellow Americans to take out the GOP and its entire poisonous platform by electing smart, sensible candidates who are committed to bringing about major policy changes that will effectively start reversing the worldwide consensus that we are a nation of assholes, and return this country to a state wherein justice, freedom, and basic civil rights are valued and protected.
Right.
So we're all fucked, basically.
But I already knew that. 'Til my return, then.
No comments:
Post a Comment