Monday, March 05, 2007

Flip-flop issues

Today I forgot my wallet in my rush to get out of the house and open the Manacare Cafe this morning, which meant I had to walk home from town with a broken flip flop. I really need some new flip flops. It all started when Joy's friend Joy decided Joy #1 should bring one of the puppies that live at the center in Telwatta home with us. Joy was in need of a loud barking dog to announce the arrival of all the various local people who show up at her house wanting either a job, a house, free money, or a combination of all three. The problem is not just that there is practically a line of these people outside the gate every day. One problem is that the pool boy, Lasantha (who I privately call Lasagna) leaves the gate wide open every day, no matter how many times you tell him not to, and the other problem is that only 2 people in Sri Lanka know how to knock first before entering another person's home. These two people are named Fahumy and Kari, and they are all around cool-ass dudes, no other word for it. So anyway, we brought the puppy home, later christened Buttons, to be our guard dog. She does a good job of it too, growling menacingly from behind the screen door, before bounding out to the driveway to accost any intruder with a terrifying display of kisses and loud barking. Besides growling, barking, and kissing, the other thing Buttons enjoys doing most is chewing any and all items available. My flip flop became one of these items, which is why it is now broken and I now have a blister in a strange spot on my left toe. I should have bought a new pair this afternoon, but I was distracted by the Good Life Wine Shop and bought beer instead. Oops.

Well, Buttons says hi.

No comments: