Sunday, September 03, 2006

[Insert String Of Expletives Here]

I fire myself.

I am taking my electronic toys away from myself and am grounding myself indefinitely.

I am a pitiful excuse for a 21st-century human.


Reason being, I just tried to upload 188 pictures from my digital camera to my computer, but due to my overzealous mouse-clicking, I instead performed the exact opposite of a transfer's purpose and deleted all 188 pictures.


Gone.

All my summer pictures.

My camping pictures, rafting pictures, my once-in-a lifetime moments were barely an hour ago snuggled safely in the depths of my memory chip.


All of them.


Now gone.


FUCK.


I think I will now go downstairs and fling my body into traffic.

***UPDATE!****

So, it finally occurred to me that I do indeed work at a nationally-distributed newspaper, surrounded by all sorts of digital photo techno gadgets and kindly photo editors who know how to use them. And that is how the story of a scatterbrained girl and her camera ends, with the rescue of her photo files by the photo editor in shining armor.

HOORAY!

Here are a couple of my favorites, taken two weeks ago at Utica, a remote lake in the Sierra Nevadas, only a 3.5 hour drive from where I live in San Francisco. This, as my friend Goyo and I agreed on the drive up, has got to be one of the most beautiful, pristine, and lovely spots on the planet. I'm not exaggerating: I've actually been lucky enough to travel widely in my life, so believe me when I say Utica is as perfect as it gets!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh shit. ouch.

i suffer from a state of slovenliness (and i am not going to reach for the dictionary but should, realy).

I havent developed a roll of film in 2 years.

I keep the undeveloped rolls in a cigar box. But at least they are intact.

I am thinking of the expletives I would use.

I wonder how similar they would be........

i guess that you had better journal those memories - you are good at that right?

Unknown said...

congrats on the photo save... i lost 50GB's of photos, or the equivilent of more than a months work earlier this year - sucks. oh, and that special secret lake is supposed to be, well... a SECRET! respect the ninja code or else they'll give us hell if they find us bloggin' about their lake up at SNAC. (did you send Keith his lifejacket?)

oh, and Cal, one word for you - COSTCO!