
About 2 weeks before Super Tuesday (Feb 5) I was undecided between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. I really wanted a woman in the Oval Office, but I wasn't sure if I wanted that woman to be Hillary Clinton. Then I started thinking about what is the actual role of the US president. George Bush has demonstrated that the actions and viewpoints of the president can bring an entire country to its knees. The rest of the world watched while the US broke international laws, flouted morality, and brought about the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people. Now the US is reviled, ridiculed, and despised around the globe.
I believe the most important role of the next US president will be to repair the image of the US to the rest of the world. Without the support of other nations we will not succeed in stabilizing Iraq and the Middle East, we will not succeed in beginning a reversal of climate change or even in reversing the downturn of our own economy. As long as entire nations are chanting 'Death to America' we will not succeed in becoming part of the global community for progressive change.
Barack Obama is a fresh face, a clean start, a source of new political motivation and a tremendously galvanizing force. He is a man with strong convictions but he also understands how to listen. He has his finger on the pulse of our ethnically-diverse, consumer-driven, techno-savvy nation, but he also has family in Kenya who live in a tiny village with no running water or electricity. His unique global viewpoint will make him a powerful asset in future negotiations around the world. Mr Obama is the person I want to present as the new face of our nation. His incredible success in galvanizing Americans from all walks of life is moving and inspirational and the entire world is watching, and wondering. Maybe even rooting for us. Hoping that the USA will live up to its creeds.
If you want to be proud to be an American again, then Barack Obama should be your choice for President! YES, WE CAN!
No comments:
Post a Comment