Friday, February 22, 2008

A Jerusalem Between Us



I was lucky enough to catch a special preview of Aaron Davidman's one-man show several months ago and I really enjoyed it. The organization I currently work for, the New Israel Fund (a non-profit dedicated to advancing equality and social justice in Israel - www.nif.org) is partnering with the San Francisco Traveling Jewish Theatre for a revised performance of this thought-provoking play about coming to terms with Israel as an American Jew. However, I think this play is relevant to anyone interested in the fate of Israel and Palestine - or interested in the age-old dilemma of loyalty vs. conscience. Feel free to get in touch with me if you are interested in attending.

DATE: Wednesday, March 4th, 7:30pm

DESCRIPTION: A Jerusalem Between Us takes stock of some of the recent controversies that have divided Americans and American Jews. The play untangles the Rachel Corrie controversy, considers the word "apartheid", reflects on the spirit of Jewish values, and wonders what's left of the Left. Giving voice to different characters he meets along his journey, one man reflects on the spirit of his childhood as he travels from America to the Middle East in search of answers to some of the most provocative questions of our time.

TICKETS: $15, available at the Traveling Jewish Theatre. Call 415.522.0786 or email tickets@atjt.com (advance purchase recommended)

UPDATE: There will be a post-show discussion moderated by Peter Stein, Executive Director of the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival.

No comments: