Friday, April 04, 2008

40 years


April 4, 1968: 40 years ago today, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot to death on a hotel balcony in Memphis, Tennessee.

He was only 39, but his autopsy revealed that his last 13 grueling years as the leader of the American civil rights movement had given him the heart of a 60 year-old.

White escaped convict James Earl Ray, a high school drop-out and petty thief, was charged with King's murder and convicted in a Tennessee court, though he was never tried before a jury. In a brutal questioning session with the FBI, James Earl Ray confessed to the murder and, on the advice of his lawyer, entered a guilty plea to avoid a trial conviction and possible death penalty. Three days after he was sentenced to 99 years in prison, he recanted his confession and spent the rest of his life unsuccessfully attempting to withdraw the guilty plea and secure a retrial (Wikipedia.) He died in prison of liver failure in 1998, having written a book that cited a government cover-up behind the murder.

The King family have stated numerous times that they do not believe James Earl Ray shot and killed Dr. King. Recent developments have brought to light inconclusive evidence of a conspiracy involving government agencies and a man named Loyd Jowers (who was later convicted in a wrongful death civil suit by Dr. King's widow, Coretta) who claimed he had received $100,000 to arrange the murder. Reverend Jesse Jackson, who was present on the balcony and witnessed the shooting, is quoted on Wikipedia as having stated in 2004:

"I will never believe that James Earl Ray had the motive, the money and the mobility to have done it himself. Our government was very involved in setting the stage for and I think the escape route for James Earl Ray."

What is Martin Luther King's legacy?

His movement of non-violent resistance, based on the teachings of Ghandi, continues to inspire activists like the Dalai Lama and Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of the National League for Democracy in Burma.

His condemnation of American imperialist foreign policy and pivotal role in the early days of the anti-war movement have undeniable relevance today.

His dedication to world peace and basic human rights for all the world's people makes current ongoing atrocities in places like Iraq, Darfur and occupied Palestine all the more significant.

I was 8 years old, in second grade, when I first read and listened to a recording of the "I Have A Dream" speech. Learning about his life and death was the first moment I began to have an inkling of unjust, violent and prejudiced forces in the world. Second grade was also the same year that George H.W. Bush won the presidential election. I clearly remember driving home with my mom when the announcement came over the radio; my mom pulled the car over to the side of the road and let out a virulent string of curses in mixed English and Spanish.

The year I learned about Martin Luther King, Jr.-- the same year Bush Sr. took office -- continues to shape who I am and what I choose to do with my life.

Dr. King's last words before he died were a request that his favorite hymn, "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" be sung at an organizer's meeting he was supposed to attend that night. Mahalia Jackson sang it at his funeral.

Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, let me stand
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on to the light
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home

When my way grows drear
Precious Lord linger near
When my light is almost gone
Hear my cry, hear my call
Hold my hand lest I fall
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home


When the darkness appears
And the night draws near
And the day is past and gone
At the river I stand
Guide my feet, hold my hand
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home

No comments: